Course Maintenance April
Following our latest STRI report we have changed our strategy for this upcoming maintenance. Rather than just using the Air2G2 we will also be aerating with 12mm bullet tines. We will then brush a medium spread of top dressing into the tine holes to encourage better soil composition and help reduce organic matter content.
Changes to the way we attend the flag on the green
At the last Greens meeting in January 2018 the committee decided that in social golf only, during the winter months the flag must not be attended. You can have it left in or completely out. This applies to main greens and winter greens. The reason is to stop wear around the hole and leaving frost deposits from shoes etc. It is hoped it will give members a reasonable chance of holing more puts :-) The greens are not the largest in the county and during the winter months in soft conditions the greens get exceptional wear and tear. This method is used by a lot of clubs.
5th / 12th Bunker Trial
A company called Eco bunker have designed numerous different styles of bunker which incorparte a base liner and a riveted face using artificial turf. The liner is called perma soil and the artificial riveted face is called perma edge. A few benneffits of lining a bunker are, reduced stone contamination, reduced sand contamination and the abillity to hold sand on the faces through harsh weather conditions. Using the perma soil liner in realation with the eco edge creates a more consitent and maintenance friendly bunker.
The process of installing the eco bunker went as follows;
- Remove two turf widths from around the edge of the bunker
- Scrape all the sand into the base of the bunker
- Dig an edge out around the face of the bunker creating a shelf to lay the eco edge riveting
- Lay a single layer of eco edge around the diameter of the bunker
- Mix the old bunker sand with cement to infill the gaps
- Continue this process until the edge is at the required height
- Once the rivetted face is complete compacted soil went on top of upside down turf to create a root bed
- Perma soil was mixed with soil whilst adding a slight amount of water to create the mixrture
- The mix was then compacted to a 50mm depth throughout the whole bunker.
- Aquadine drainage blocks were placed in the base to increase percipitation
- Drip feed irrigation pipe was installed to reduce dry patch in warm windy conditions
- New turf layed around the bunker to finish.
- Re - fill the bunker with new sand
- Once the new turf that is over hanging the inside of the bunker dies back the final edge will be shaped
Thankyou for reading,
The Green Chairman's Update is in the list of downloadable documents below.
|File Name||File Size||Upload Date|
|2018 Pre-season STRI Report.pdf||696.46 kB||09 Apr 2018 08:05:53|
|Frost Policy.pdf||419.85 kB||21 Dec 2017 15:38:42|
|Greens Chairman Overview 2017.pdf||357.82 kB||10 Aug 2017 08:54:34|
|STRI Report 2017.pdf||1.26 MB||26 Jul 2017 15:56:46|
|R&A Guidance on Course Set Up.pdf||314.95 kB||23 May 2017 13:32:47|
|Course Survey Results.pdf||117.92 kB||23 Jan 2017 10:05:05|
|Course Survey Summary.pdf||307.03 kB||23 Jan 2017 10:04:45|
|STRI Report 2016.pdf||663.32 kB||14 Jul 2016 10:38:35|
Estimated golfing daylight time for today: 4:33am to 9:25pm