Inaugural Captain 1901
The name "MacRae" has been associated with Newark Golf Club from the very beginning, something the Club has recognised by naming the Restaurant, Bar and Function facilities after one of Newark Golf Club's founders, the first ever Club Captain and Club President for over 15 years, Mr Stuart MacRae.
Stuart MacRae is credited with having introduced golf to the town of Newark in about 1890 and was the driving force behind the Club's move from a six hole course on Sconce Hills, near Farndon Road, to a new 9 hole layout at Hawton Road in 1896.
Born on the 7 December 1855 Stuart MacRae was a gentleman of many talents which he put to good use before his death, aged 71, on 27 January 1927. Stuart was not only a golf enthusiast but a very accomplished all round sportsman, playing Cricket for the MCC as well as playing Tennis, Squash ( he had a court of his own at his home Handley House in Northgate), Billiards, Shooting and even Ice Hockey. Although born a Scot, he most notably earned five caps playing football for England in 1883 and 1884 against Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Unfortunately, his football career was was effectively brought to an end when he broke his leg playing at Half Back for Newark Town in a match against Grantham Rovers, a position he also played for Notts County.
Stuart MacRae was also an excellent musician, excelling at the violin, and was frequently seen with the orchestra on Newark concert platforms. Made a JP in 1915, MacRae sat regularly at the Newark County Police Court in Appleton Gate and was a member of the Royal Company of Archers, Kings Bodyguard of Scotland.
Newark Golf Club is a Club of great golfing and local history and, like their founder, the Club has many strings to its bow. Why not visit MacRae's Restaurant and Bar facilities and find out more about what we can offer members, visitors and coprorate clients.