Coat of Arms

Coat of Arms, Newark Golf Club

Geoff Goodall, a past Town Clerk of the Borough of Newark-upon-Trent, has kindly supplied the following information.

The Coat of Arms of the Newark Golf Club is a symbolic contemporary rendering of the official and original Coat of Arms granted to the Borough of Newark-upon-Trent under the Seal of Sir Gilbert Dethick Knight Garter, Principal King of Arms, in 1561 during the "fourth yeare of the raigne of owre Soveraigne Ladye Elizabeth by the Grace of God 'QUENE OF ENGLAND'."

The signs and symbols of the Coat of Arms of the Borough are interesting because they indicate a town on a river. The bars of six waves across the Shield relate to water; beaver and otter to water animals. Above the waves (two in number), on the golf club coat of arms, there are 18 dots, indicative of the 18 golf holes on the course. Above the shield on the coat of arms appears a bird, this was originally a peacock, and in its mouth was an eel because the Newark reach of the Trent was well stocked with eels.

Mantling is pure decoration. The Right Honourable Henry, Earl of Rutland, had a great deal to do with the presentation of the petition for a grant of the arms to the town, hence the lion, peacock and fleur-de-lis are taken from the arms of the Duke of Rutland.

The Newark Golf Club coat of arms bears several changes. In 1561, on either side of the shield, was displayed the Royal Lion, replaced in due course by the otter and the beaver, and for the Newark Golf Club we have the rabbit and the fox, significant to all members of the club!

In 1912 the motto, 'Deo Fretus Erumpe', was added to the arms of the Borough of Newark, and interesting to note that it is a Latin translation of an appeal to Lord Belasis, Governor of the town in 1646, after Charles I ordered the surrender of Newark to Cromwell, after the town had withstood four years of siege. The phrase arises from this appeal and is interpreted as 'Trust in God and sally forth'. Even though various contemporary renderings of the arms have taken place, hope­fully the phrase may hold in good stead for the next 100 years, and who knows may be appropriate to the many utterances (under breath of course) on the 18th green!